MAJOR SPOILERS FOR WEB SERIES CARMILLA AND FRANKENSTEIN, M.D. Minor spoilers for Adult Wednesday Addams and The Joker Blogs.
In this episode:
- Tonight's topic: Horror web series! We cover some recent popular horror web series, including:
- Frankenstein, M.D.
- Adult Wednesday Addams (Thanks for the rec, chrissysky!)
- The Joker Blogs
- Most of our discussion revolves around Carmilla and Frankenstein, M.D., since they have the most material to draw from (and Fio didn't get around to watching The Joker Blogs--shame on you, Fio).
- Adapting Victorian novels into modern web series--who knew it would catch on?
- Carmilla's and Frankenstein, M.D.'s different implementations of the weblog format
- Watching characters/actors develop over the course of the series, and comparing how each series end their first "seasons"
- Adult Wednesday Addams, and the age-old question: How does one best adapt the Addams Family? (Apparently there's a musical. Go figure.)
- The Joker Blogs, and what it takes from both The Dark Knight Christopher Nolan film and the Batman animated series
- Apparently there IS a Frankenstein TV series being developed by Fox. Knew I heard about it somewhere. Although clearly not this article, since it just came out.
- Highlights from Fio's timestamps:
- 39:30 - Okay, so you say “there’s a lot of blue” but I was doing some writing while listening and totally thought you said “there’s a lot of lube” and I was sitting here like “waaaaaaaaaaaaat”
- "I don’t think it came out of nowhere" what I should have said was that the rehearsals for a downer ending were definitely there.
- Victoria: Less of a dick than Victor
- I realized that the anti-smoking commercial that pissed me off was the one from truth featuring that swipe-left tindr parody song. I mean, the song is obnoxious, but the fact that they close the commercial and that fucking guy jumps up and fucking yells “HASHTAG” is the part that makes me want to go out buy a whole goddamn pack of cigarettes and smoke them at once. (Note from Ian: I have not had the misfortune of seeing this commercial. Yet. *looks over shoulder nervously*)
- Realtalk, I just like saying Fizzy Dagon
- When talking about the Addams Family I mention “There are some values they have that we also cherish” but don’t really expand upon it. In case anyone’s confused, I’m talking mainly about the love between Gomez and Morticia here, but that extends to the whole family. The morality of the Addams Family is more of a step to the side of our own rather than the complete opposite.
- Intro: "This is My Design" - original song, music by Ian. More on this as it develops.
- Outro: "Is Your Love Strong Enough?" - How to Destroy Angels | YouTube | iTunes |