(Alternative title for this episode was "ONCE MORE INTO THE BREACH MY FILTHIES!" Seriously, for like 33 whole seconds that was totes gonna be the title)
SPOILERS FOR... TRUE DETECTIVE, SLEEPY HOLLOW, NBC'S DRACULA, and NBC'S HANNIBAL (SEASON 1 AND PROMOTIONAL MATERIALS FOR SEASON 2)
In this episode:
- Cleo's back with us! Hannibal's happening again soon! Things! Things, you guys! Things!
- Before we get started, we should apologize. Profusely. It seems like our recording equipment (strong word, there) malfunctioned during the first hour of the podcast. Did my best with the editing, but there are some awkward cuts, and little bits get left out in places. In my head, I refer to the time of the podcast when malfunctions were things that happened and the time when they were not as "Before Avocado" and "Avocado Domini" respectively.
- Alright *deep breath* here we go...
- We start off doing a quick roundup of the horror shows and horror-ish shows that we've been checking out this season:
- True Detective, the influence of The King in Yellow, people telling Matthew McConaughey to shut up for thirty minutes, Fio gets confused about what a spiral looks like, why the show is worth watching.
- Sleepy Hollow and the utter wackiness that has been the entire season, the (unnecessary) justifications for tree demons out of nowhere, why the characters are what really carries us through this show, and how we're holding out hope for the irreverent madcap delight to carry us onto the next season.
- Dracula and Cleo's crushing disappointment, the difference between sex and violence being used with nuance and being used in an exploitative manner, how everyone on this show is a total prick, and how the whiplash of switching between the show's love of barely-network-safe sexytimes and barely-network-safe headsplodies will afflict you with an acute crotch confusion (
Crotchfusion?Never mind, that's like the opposite of what I meant).
- If you're just looking for Hannibal, that discussion starts in earnest around 58:30 (listen for a familiar sound) with a few bits and pieces hanging about on the end of Dracula. Tee hee, gross. Anyway, as far as Hannibal is concerned:
- We say "what the fuck?" a lot. Add exclamation points to that as necessary.
- There's a lot of speculation about what we might see in the upcoming season, who's going to die, how awful is it going to get, and who is not for eating. Not for eating. #notforeating
- We get into how wonderful the 13-Hour Devour was (even though Ian and Fio were total losers and couldn't take part), and how it's super cool that Fannibals have the ability to trend a hashtag of someone who gets around 2 minutes of screentime world-wide, which is just great.
- "Entree," "Sorbet," and "Fromage" form a sort of mini-arc that we get into some depth discussing on the podcast, since we're pretty sure it's the favorite arc of the show for all three of us (am I overstepping in saying that? Correct me if that's not the case).
- The casting of the Verger kids and how fancasting Lee Pace in the role of Mason probably would have made a lot of people very upset.
- There's a Mads Mikkelsen Q&A coming up soon. We broach that topic and start talking about the nature of fandom and the interesting age demographics the Fannibals seem to be spread across.
- For the True Detective fans in our audience, here are links to check out regarding The Yellow Sign and SCP-701, The Hanged King
- Here's a link to a round-up of Cleolinda's Storify recaps thus far
- Ohhhhhhhh, Franklin....
- Ian thinks we should post links to Cleo's custom "My Little Ravenstag" when she receives it. Fio concurs.
- This is the article that discusses the inspiration of the Hannibal character that we mention.
- Aside from the previous round-up, here's Cleo's Storify of the 13-Hour Devour
- CAPS LOCK IS HOW I FEEL ALL THE TIME RICK
- Highlights from Ian's timemarks:
- 39:40 - More Skype recorder demons. I think there’s enough of it there to figure out what I’m saying, but we’ll just have to throw up a disclaimer on the blogpost. Fuck me, this is annoying. AND IT’S ONLY WHEN I’M TALKING. *shakes fist at podcast gods*
- 41:18 - Pause as Cleo and I try to be polite as fuck and let the other speak.
- 1:00:00 - Re: the puns: I REGRET NOTHING.
- 1:20:11 - #DidYouStealMySperm. It actually flows into discussion about Hannibal and Twitter, so we might not need to cut it for an outtake.
- Before we go, I want to point out that, thanks to Ian's timestamps, our blog now contains the phrase "...Sperm. It flows..." So if that's something you came here for, umm... We have that now.
- ETA: THE THING. #thing
- Intro Music: "Feel Good Inc." - Gorillaz | YouTube | iTunes |
- Outro Music: "la Folia" - performed by Emilie Autumn | YouTube | iTunes |
- A necessary sacrifice courtesy of Stefofthehill