SPOILERS UP TO (and including) HANNIBAL 2x04, as well as potential spoilers for HANNIBAL 2x05
In this episode:
- Cleolinda joins us again! Hi Cleo!
- Discussion of Hannibal 2x04 "Takiawase," including the ungainly horror of the uncanny valley (yes, again), Amanda Plummer's portrayal of the Killer of the Week (KotW for all you kool katz in the housebutKATZOHNOBEVERLY), Zeller and his ability to deliver one hell of a side-eye (BEVERLY WHYYYYYYYY), and Beverly, whether or not she was fridged, what that means for the show's plot and what we can glean about the philosophy of the writing from this decision.
- Wild Walls are a thing, by the way. Don't say we never taught you nothin'.
- Aside from that, we also manage to get into a weird discussion of the Worf Effect, Will's memory palace, and a whole lot of other nonsense.
- Cleolinda introduces us to the most disturbing idea for a fanfic ever. Seriously, not safe for your soul, guise.
- We speculate a little more on the Admirer storyline, what this means for our previous speculations (mostly just egg on our face. Eggy eggy egg on the face of the Matter of Taste podcasters. Or at least, that's what I'm assuming now. If I'm wrong about this, does that make it double egg or single egg because being right in Hassun negates going back on it now? Something to ponder.)
- We talk about Constantine for a little bit. I'm SO EXCITED but SO NERVOUS, you have no idea.
- Oh, here's a link to Bryan Fuller's AV Club interview re: Takiawase
- There's no way we can actually be as nuanced as one would need to be to give due deference to both the complaints about the way the show has handled Bev's departure from it and the defenses of the writers in how heavily they weighed the decision before they made it. That said...
- This is an in-depth essay by Tumblr user bonearenaofmyskull and her perspective on the Bev situation.
- Here's Hetienne Park weighing in on the episode and the response it's garnered online.
- This is an image from a game Ian was referencing in regards to Beverly stepping down into the murder dungeon. Is it from Silent Hill? Is it from some other game series it's from Silent Hill.
- This is the mixed media piece that Ian references.
- Without further ado, here's some highlights from Ian's timestamps this week:
- 34:49 - Splice “Pathetique” in right here if you want--I uploaded the section I was talking about to the Google Drive (Piano Sonata in C minor). I would fade it out around the 30 second mark if you do use it.Or you can delete my tangent into Romantic-era music; I won’t be hurt. It’s also my dream that Sleepy Hollow uses “Broken Crown” by Mumford & Sons for a night-time horse chase scene, if they ever have more of those.(...Der Erlkönig would be another cool one for Hannibal. I’ll stop now.)
- 1:01:03 - 1:02:15 - You can totally cut my comparison to the screencap from Silent Hill if it feels like too much of a tangent. It’s kind of dumb. I’m DUMB, Fio. SO DUMB. [/cries in a corner clutching a Pyramid Head doll]
- 1:31:13 - This is when I first mention we should start wrapping things up. There’s still 22 minutes left in the recording. X)
- IAN EDIT FROM THE FUTURE: For those curious, this is the Beethoven piece I was referring to--the 1st movement of his "Pathetique." The 2nd movement is possibly more famous, but has a MUCH different feel than what I was talking about.
- Intro: "Taps," which is... it's "Taps," you guise. Also, "This is My Design" - original song, music by Ian. More on this as it develops.
- Outro: "Cups" - Anna Kendrick | YouTube | iTunes |