SPOILERS FOR "SILENCE OF THE LAMBS" (1991), SEASON 1 OF NBC'S HANNIBAL, AND SILENCE OF THE LAMBS BY THOMAS HARRIS
Also, the opening song is definitely NSFW.
In this episode:
- Cleolinda Jones joins us for our discussion! W00T!
- Discussion of the 1991 adaptation of Thomas Harris' novel The Silence of the Lambs, including Jodie Foster's performance as Clarice, Anthony Hopkins' iconic performance as Hannibal, and comparing/contrasting with NBC Hannibal
- This is another long one, so here are some time marks for major discussions:
- What is horror? (7:48) The Wikipedia article on horror and terror, featuring the Ann Radcliffe definition Cleo mentions
- Watching "Silence of the Lambs" in the context of NBC's Hannibal (23:20)
- Cinematography and blocking (36:15)
- TV SPOILERS: Abigail's dead, guys, and we need to start the healing process. Also, IT SOMEHOW FINDS A WAY TO GET WORSE. (48:28)
- Ted Levine's performance as Buffalo Bill (1:11:05)
- The problematic nature of Buffalo Bill's confusing trans*?/not trans*?/genderqueer? status, intersectionality, and how to be a fan of problematic things (1:15:24)
- Casting discussion (1:34:52)
- Will NBC get the rights to the Silence of the Lambs characters? Also, possible alternatives. (1:47:14)
- Why people should go ahead and watch "Silence of the Lambs," despite it being the blueprint for future seasons of the TV series (1:51:40)
- Flower crowns: what is the dealio. (1:54:25)
- Cleo sheds light on different aspects of the story and film-making with her notes on the Criterion commentary and deleted scenes.
- Cleo and Fio (holy crap I just realized that rhymes) have both read the books. I have not. They have cool insights into the movie and how it compares to the book. I do not.
- Apparently, Cleo falls out of her chair a lot. X)
- Clarice really is a badass.
- Lecter's "humanity," and how this influenced Hopkin's portrayal
- Here's a list of odds and ends links:
- Tattle-Crime.com's Interview with Lara Jean Chorostecki
- The official answer to the flower crowns question (posted after the recording of this episode, otherwise we would've discussed it on the podcast)
- Will Graham Has a Nice Day, and the picture we reference
- Lecter & Me, the Red Dragon featurette with Anthony Hopkins
- We had a slight issue with Cleo's audio at some points, but I don't think it gets too distracting.
- I couldn't find the name of the girl Clarice examines in the moment Jodie Foster refers to as "hero accepting her task." If anyone knows, leave a comment or send us an email.
- We did our best in the time we had to discuss the issues of Buffalo Bill's problematic representation/non-representation of the trans* community, but please let us know if any corrections need to be made or if someone better informed than us would like to weigh in on the discussion.
- A lot of stuff happened at the SDCC panel and the fan meet-up, which we'll probably discuss a little bit next episode.
- I'm probably forgetting something. Let us know in the comments or email.
- Intro: "Put the F*cking Lotion in the Basket" - Jon Kaplan & Al Kaplan | YouTube | iTunes |
- Outro: "Goodbye Horses" - Garvey | YouTube | iTunes |