SPOILERS FOR THE HANNIBAL SEASON 1 FINALE
In this episode:
- Discussion of Hannibal 1x13 "Savoureux," and the many things that went down in the season 1 finale
- This is a long episode, so here's a breakdown of some of the major conversations we had amidst the episode recap:
- Thematic similarities between Abigail & Miriam (14:28), with some Mischa and Clarice comparisons
- How responsible does Hannibal actually feel for Abigail's death? (31:13)
- Will's time loss interpreted as disassociation vs. memory loss (47:50)
- The Cryptic Conversations of Dr. Du Maurier and Dr. Lecter, or: How much does Bedelia really know? (1:14:39)
- Looking forward to season 2 (1:24:00)
- Plans for the podcast over the summer, this fall, and BEYOND (okay, maybe just for the summer and the fall) (1:35:45)
- Caroline Dhavernas (Alana) is awesome. 'Nuff said.
- Let's just get all of our Crawford frustration out: AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH. Better?
- I make lots of weird noises, especially when watching Hannibal.
- This show: dramatic irony at its finest.
- Also, no one's going to admit to murder in this show, but they're definitely going to make damn sure they imply it.
- No one should want to be Hannibal's friend. Seriously.
- Last day to submit to the contest! We'll stop accepting submissions at midnight EST on Thursday. If you're working on something but you're not sure if you'll have it finished by then, email us about it, and we'll see if we can work something out.
- Also, we'll be updating once every two weeks this summer. The next episode will be released July 11, and it'll be a discussion of the movie Manhunter, the first cinematic interpretation of one of the Hannibal books.
- The Georgia Madchen episode Fio is talking about in reference to Will's disassociation/memory loss is "Buffet Froid," not "Rôti." Our mistake.
- I've never played a Fatal Frame game, but unless I'm much mistaken, the titular "Fatal Frame" refers to the moment of death, rather than the lifeless body afterward, which makes it not quite as apt a comparison to the bodies presented in Hannibal's office as they go through each of the Copycat Killer's murders. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about this.
- We mentioned that my "Will hallucinated his kiss with Alana" theory was shot down, but didn't exactly say why: Will makes reference to how he's surprised Crawford let her in to see him in the interrogation room, given his "romantic overtures," to which Alana responds, "Jack doesn't know," then glances at the one-way glass in the room, and follows up with, "Didn't know."
- At some point I say something about Will being in jail, when of course I mean the mental institution. Hey, I wasn't the only one who made the mistake.
- RE: Reviewing Walking Dead in the fall: If we do decide to discuss The Walking Dead this fall, which is looking more and more likely, we'll have at least one episode recapping the first three seasons to bring everyone up to speed. We won't leave you hanging.
- Intro quote: Bill Murray, The Royal Tennenbaums
- Intro/outro song: "I'm Not Okay (I Promise)" - My Chemical Romance | YouTube | iTunes |